Summary | english 111 | Edgecombe Community College
Choose 1 video from the link below. If the link doesnt work let me know.
For the first summary assignment for ENG 111, we will have a little fun with summarizing.
We will summarize video you select from the provided videos. Each of the videos was an educational video, shown in classrooms many years ago. The films were selected because they feature outdated information or societal attitudes or obsolete technology. By virtue of being an educational video, these films were shown in schools; the videos we will see were targeted toward teenagers and older.
The videos to summarize are posted on a separate page. You must access one of those for this assignment to be accepted.
To summarize the videos, consider the following structure:
Paragraph one — Introduction: What did you watch?
Objectively introduce the video, including its title, producer, and year of release. Also include an overview of the subject matter. Finally, include a thesis that includes three pieces of evidence to be used in your third paragraph to prove the information is obsolete or outdated.
Paragraph two — Summary: What was the film about?
Again, objectively summarize the video. Answer the question above by describing the plot line of the video.
Paragraph three — Identifying: What was out of date in the video?
Offer three instances of information in the video that is out of date or even obsolete. Consider exploring what kinds of appeals are used to persuade the audience and why they no longer work.
Paragraph four — Conclude: Where have we been?
Sum up what you have just said. What was the film you watched about? Restate your thesis. What examples did you use to prove that the film was outdated? What could one gain from watching this themselves?
“I STATEMENTS” OR THE PRONOUN “I” ARE NOT APPROPRIATE FOR THIS PIECE OF WRITING.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REACT TO THE FILM OR SHARE YOUR OPINION — AT LEAST NOT OVERTLY.
Here are the videos from which you may select. They are all linked, in order on the “Videos for Summary One” page.
- “A Date with Your Family” (1960)
- “Body Care and Grooming” (1948)
- “Cindy Goes to a Party” (1955)
- “Color It Clean” (1966)
- “Cooking Terms and What They Mean” (1949)
- “Design for Dreaming” (1956)
- “Easy Does It” (1940)
- “Habit Patterns” (1954)
- “How the Eye Works” (1941)
- “Human Reproduction” (1947)
- “Just Imagine!” (1947)
- “Keeping Clean and Neat” (1956)
- “Leave It to Roll-Oh” (1940)
- “Magic in the Air” (1955)
- “Mobile Telephones” (1940)
- “One World or None”(1946)
- “Out of This World” (1954, Dupont)
- “Out of This World” (1964, Frigidaire)
- “Preventing the Spread of Disease” (1940)
- “Problems of Housing” (1944)
- “Robotics: The Future Is Now” (1984)
- “Safety in Offices” (1944)
- “Snap Out of It” (1951)
- “Sniffles and Sneezes” (1955)
- “Supervising Women Workers” (1944)
- “Survival Under Atomic Attack” (1951)
- “The Far Sound” (1973)
- “The Girl on the Magazine Cover” (1940)
- “The Information Machine” (1958)
- “The Nation at Your Fingertips” (1951)
- “The Relaxed Wife” (1957)
- “This is Coffee” (1961)
- “Tomorrow Television” (1945)
- “Wastage of Human Resources” (1947)
- “Weight Reduction Through Diet” (1951)
- “What About Prejudice?” (1959)
- “Women of Steel” (1943)
- “Your Chance to Live: Technological Failures” (1972)
All the videos are linked on the Moodle site and appear in alphabetical order, unless the title begins with an article (a, the).