Week 6 Class Discussion topic comes from —
Chapter Six “Targeting Attractive Market Segments”
Chapter Seven “Differentiation and Brand Positioning”
This class expects you to contribute two times:
When entrepreneurs and companies use tools to work on market segmentation and target marketing, they essentially seek answers to the following questions raised in Chapter Six:
- Why would market segmentation and target marketing make sense?
- Why not sell the same products or services to everyone?
- How can potentially attractive market segments be identified and defined?
- How can segments be prioritized so that the most attractive ones are pursued?
So is this class.
We will undertake a similar process through your contribution one — answer one question only out of six questions below —
Question #1 How to define market segmentations (what are three steps used in the market segmentation process)?
Question #2 What is the Five-Step Process technique used by marketers to choose attractive market segments?
Question #3 One of the three common targeting strategies is “niche-market strategy”. Explain this strategy and provide at least two examples.
Question #4 One of the three common targeting strategies is “mass-market strategy”. Explain this strategy and provide at least two examples.
Question #5 One of the three common targeting strategies is “growth-market strategy”. Explain this strategy and provide at least examples.
Question #6 What is the relationship between market segmentation, target marketing, and product positioning? What damage will be done to a company’s target marketing and positioning efforts if markets are incorrectly or not effectively or insightfully segmented?
You do not need to answer all six (6) questions above:
Question 1 needs student X1 to answer it (Question 1 must be listed first)
Question 2 needs student X2 to answer it (Question 2 must be listed first)
Question 3 needs student X3 to answer it (Question 3 must be listed first)
Question 4 needs student X4 to answer it (Question 4 must be listed first)
Question 5 needs student X5 to answer it (Question 5 must be listed first)
Question 6 needs student X6 to answer it (Question 6 must be listed first)
You will earn maximum 2 points from your completed contribution one, if —
- your answer does not repeat to a same question that has already been answered by a classmate who did his/her work before you get here.
- if you do not totally agree with a classmate’s contribution one, or you think there are some aspects missed out by that classmate, you could explain why you disagree or why some other aspects should be included in your contribution two.
- your answer is relevant to the question you selected to address.
Your contribution two — comment on one of your classmates’ posting about his/her contribution one.
You will earn maximum 2 points from your completed contribution two, if —
- your comment starts with a classmate’s name – making it clear that his/her contribution one that you would like to critique on or discuss with.
- your comment has minimum 100 words.
→ study chapters 6 to 7 thoroughly before you write up your response either for contribution one or contribution two.
→ review chapter 6 to 7 PowerPoint slides thoroughly (you can find them in “Files” at Canvas).
→ Unicheck before posting your contribution one and contribution two.