M3 Discussion 2: WOW! Lesson
Unlocked: Monday, October 25, 2021 12:01 AM MDT – Sunday, November 7, 2021 11:59 PM MST.Subscribe
The WOW discussion is an opportunity to share with the class something that surprised you in your reading, research, or study of the topics we cover in this module. As you read and watch the stories that make up our history, look for things that make you say to yourself “I didn’t know that” or “WOW! That’s cool!”. You will convert this fun fact or pertinent point into a mini-lesson on the topic and share it with your peers in this discussion.
This assignment is designed to help you develop an internal dialogue while reading and studying history. An internal dialogue while reading makes us more effective readers and efficient learners as it improves understanding and memory of story told in the text.
- While reading the e-text, and explorations, as well as watching the video clips in this module, write down several WOW “I didn’t know that” or “That’s amazing!” facts.
- Select one WOW! fact that you noted and write at least 3 critical thinking** questions about this topic. **Critical thinking questions are questions that require you to analyze information and form a judgment. Questions such as When was X born? are not critical thinking questions.
- Research and find the answers to your WOW! fact questions. If you can’t find a definitive answer to a question, look for interesting related topics and list them as your answer.
- Use your questions and answers to build a WOW! lesson for your classmates (as described below). This may be the only thing your classmates learn about your WOW! fact and you are the teacher, so please be thorough!
- At the top of your discussion post, state the WOW! fact (as a quote or paraphrase) followed by an in-text citation of your fact’s source. Use in-text citation (not bibliographic citation) in APA, MLA or Chicago Style format.
- Write a paragraph (3 – 5 sentences in addition to your quote or paraphrased information) about why that information excited you or why you found it interesting.
- Below the paragraph, list each WOW! fact question followed immediately by your researched answer of at least a paragraph in length (3 sentences minimum). Each answer should also include an in-text citation or note in APA, MLA or Chicago Style format. (Note: this is a total of at least 4 in-text citations in your post and quotations should be used minimally in your answers or not at all).
- Include a bibliographic list (References, Works Cited, or Bibliography as appropriate) for all the sources you used for research. Remember these should be appropriate research resources – no tertiary sources.
- Post your WOW! lesson to the discussion to share with classmates. (While your instructor reads posts and shares comments as necessary, this discussion is intended to be a student-led conversation.)
- Respond to at least two classmates’ WOW assignments with two additional questions each that keep the discussion moving forward. Your responses should be both reflective and respectful as you pose your questions.
- Reply to any questions asked of your WOW! thread. (2 peers)