Part 1 and Part 2 must be at least 150 – 200 words unless otherwise noted. Please read all attachments and follow all instructions.
Part 1: Employer Liability for Negligent Hiring
Read Malorney v. B&L Motor Freight, Inc. in Section 21.2 of your textbook. Discuss what duty or duties a business has with regard to checking the background of potential employees before hiring. Do you agree that businesses should be liable for injuries resulting from negligent hiring? Why, or why not?
Part 2: Discrimination
Not all discrimination is prohibited by law. For example, employers routinely discriminate between potential employees based upon education or experience. Other types of discrimination are more subtle, but still legal. For example, some employers discriminate between potential employees based upon personal characteristics such as weight or attractiveness. Should employers be permitted to discriminate based upon attractiveness? Take a side and argue that an employer should or should not be permitted by law to discriminate against persons who are not attractive.
Please read the following chapters in: Business law for managers:
· Chapter 21: Establishing the Employment Relationship
· Chapter 22: Introduction to Antidiscrimination Law
· Chapter 23: Discrimination on the Basis of Race
· Chapter 24: Discrimination on the Basis of Sex
· Chapter 25: Sexual Harassment
· Chapter 26: Other Types of Discrimination
- Chapter 27: Principal-Agency Law
Please see the below video on employment discrimination which pertain to Unit 5.